Chartered in 1801
“By virtue of a charter from the Grand Lodge of the most ancient and honorable society of Free and Accepted Masons for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, dated the eighth day of June, Anno. Domini 1801 and of Masonry 5801, constituting a lodge within the town of Leominster, under the title and designation of Aurora Lodge”
Only years after the adoption of the Constitution of the United States and with eight of its first members soldiers of the Revolution. Most Worshipful Samuel Dunn and the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts granted the charter to Aurora Lodge of Leominster, which dated June 8, 1801. Aurora was the 56th Masonic lodge chartered in the state of Massachusetts.
(numbers were discontinued in this state many years ago)
One month later on July 9, 1801, the first meeting of that newly constituted body was held at Kendall Tavern. The Lodge started off auspiciously with prospects of a bright future, and on September 17th of 1801, a committee was appointed to locate new quarters and moved one week later to Brother Leland’s tavern located on the spot where the Unitarian Church now stands.
The third move was made in November of the same year when quarters were occupied at the corner of Monument Square and Pleasant Street. Regular meetings were held in this location on the second floor for 42 years until the move was made to Fitchburg.
On February 26, 1844, the subject of the removal of the Lodge to Fitchburg was discussed. On May 24, 1844, a vote was taken on that important subject. The membership at that time was 31. The secretary prior to this meeting sent a notice to every member with information pertaining to the important matter that was to be acted upon. All present brothers, with the exception of one, voted for this move to Fitchburg. The last meeting of Aurora Lodge in Leominster, Massachusetts was on December 23, 1844.
On March 14, 1845, Aurora Lodge moved to Fitchburg, MA. We met at several temporary sites in the city for about 26 years, including the exquisite Fitchburg Hotel on the upper common while the construction of the Fitchburg Savings Bank building on Main Street awaited completion in 1869.
November 23 1871, The first meeting of Aurora Lodge In the new building. The 3rd and 4th floors of this new strong granite bank building which specifically built for Masonic use was active with brethren from all over. The Fraternity held meetings in the Bank Building for 92 years.
Planning for new quarters began officially on September 15, 1954.
The Groundbreaking ceremony took place on April 26, 1964
On September 12, 1964, the cornerstone was laid.
The dedication of the new building took place on Wednesday, December 16, 1964, at 5:05 P.M.
For 56 Years now, we have been utilizing the Masonic building.